Hypoxia involves transient oxygen deprivation of the brain. So it stands to reason that the more oxygen-consuming certain aprts of the brain are, the more susceptible they will be ot the effects of hypoxia. Hippocampi are known to be particularly oxygen-dependent, and hippocampi are also critical for memory. Hippocampal damage due to any cause is likely to result in memory impairment
More Questions and Answers
- What is lobotomy?
- Is schizophrenia a brain disease or is it psychodynamic?
- What is the Wisconsin Card Sorting Test?
- Can drugs cure Alzheimer’s disease?
- Does HIV affect the brain?
- What is “agnosia”?
- Is language hard-wired?
- Where is the seat of consciousness?
- What kind of information can you get from MRI?
- If somebody who was in a car accident has normal brain MRI, does it mean that everything is OK?
- Is it true that cognition is also impaired in Parkinson’s disease, and not just movements?
- Is it true that the left hemisphere is “rational” and the right hemisphere is “emotional”?
- What is dyslexia?
- What is neuropsychology?
- What are the most common causes of TBI in civilian life?
- What does TBI stand for?